Orzotto is an Italian dish similar to rizotto but made with pearl barley instead of rice. If you are used to making rizotto with arborio rice, you will notice the difference as orzotto tends to not be as laborious. You dont have to stand over this dish stirring it constantly.
Tomato vegetable orzotto with red wine is perfect for those cozy fall evenings when you’re looking for something quick to make but is also hearty, guilt-free and loaded with flavor.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed and chopped
- 1/2 a large sweet onion – chopped
- one celery stalk – chopped
- one large carrot – chopped
- 8 medium sized mushrooms – sliced
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1 – 1/2 cups of stewed tomato puree
- 3 cups of chicken or turkey stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 cup chopped parsley
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 small chili pepper – crushed (optional)
- 1 cup of uncooked pearl barley
Tomato vegetable orzotto with red wine is quite easy to make in just under 50 minutes. Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet. Add the garlic and onions and sautee for 2 minutes. Add in the remainder of the chopped vegetables and cook until soft. Add in the red wine and cook for one more minute. Add in the tomato sauce, stock, and spices and bring to a boil. Let cook at this medium heat for another 2 minutes stirring as it boils.
Add in the barley and give a quick stir. Reduce heat to low and place lid on the pan. Let cook at this very low temperature for 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove lid and give a few stirs. Place lid on the mixture and let cook for another five minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and let sit for five minutes.
Tomato vegetable orzotto with red wine can be enjoyed all on its own. For a little extra flavor, garnish with fresh parsley, grated parmiggiano, and crusty Italian bread or toasted naan bread.
Buon appetito xo…